Live Action: A Classic Marvel Fan Fic summer vacation companion, featuring Sandu versus the Incredible Hulk

Here’s a story inspired by seeing a vintage Hulk pinball machine during an annual camping trip with my family.
I'd have run off to play alone, and make up, page-by-page, a comic book. I think the story works fine without a massive back knowledge of Marvel, and will present it to some people with no hint about the dual identity of the protagonist, who's introduced, in the fashion of the popular CBS TV show from 1977-1982, as a brilliant man, living anonymously and seeking peace, while harboring one big, green response to self-doubt. I love the plot, now that I see the poetry in the antagonist's plan. I would've loved this story as a kid, and that's the kid I'm focusing on this week.

The plot? The first third is based on:





Page one and two are set on a bridge, leaving a park for a hillside trail to a brilliant mountain peak, not too far above. They speak as they ascend the first of the trail up.



A man with a certain maniacal glee in his eyes leads another man into People’s Crossing. The other fellow’s dressed in a Hawaiian shirt. He’s putting out a cigar as they travel over the bridge. He coughs, then says:


RA: Blamed walk to the top of this mountain best be worth it.

Sandu: Mr. Anthony, you are considering turning back?

Not on your life, Sandu! We’ve got five grand riding on your proof that you can demonstrate what I will agree is Extra Sensory Perception.

If you hadn’t told me my name, that I go by ‘R.A.’- that I’m a gambling addict, that I’ve seen it all but you can go one better, money guaranteed- and my blamed social security number! Why aren’t you selling lottery numbers?

Sandu: Power made of belief- beyond every day levels, in this cynical world- can move that entire mountain top, RA. My sense of a tremendous source to tap all but assures me the purse on which we’ve agreed. PAGE TWO
SANDU: Though I assure you, the greed is there simply because it was part of my abilities, from the beginning of the time the entire world feared me!

RA: So what was it- a WORLD-BEATER FOR A day or something? I don’t even know why I’d believe you really dropped a building on Thor. I always thought he was some media gimmick.

SANDU: It’s the trickster’s power that gave me leave to levitate an entire bank- teleport the people inside, to the ground- then disappear with the building.

RA: What’d you do, hide it on the moon?

See Journey Into Mystery #91, 1963. SANDU: Now, who’s psychic, R.A.?

RA: Hah! Well, Mr. Sandu, Roger Anthony is a man whose pulse lives for thrills. I never quit believing in my own luck! Too bad for you, that means you’re likely not to convince me.

SANDU: No one knows enough to be a pessimist, Roger. Now, come to this side trail. I want the others to pass.



Now, we'll shift focus a bit, to show some youngsters, waving their foam swords and daggers and axes around, as they make their way up a trail.
And that's where I'm leaving it. Story beginning resumes, ON THE REST OF page two- next post!
Maybe I'll draw it a cover, call it Hulk Annual. I'll do that after I get anything else at all done with it, but I do have a plot worth at least 38 pages. If I was drawing a whole issue of anything, first, it'd be a comic book page to insert in my next Integr8d Soul game. I'd love to get around printing costs and wastes and still deliver comics pages again. Thanks for everyone who supported us in 2010! Maybe one facet of our success has been the true ability to actually recall the people who each got a copy of D'n'A: The Mountain. I was just remembering it for 'Cleverly,' my snap-wtted friend who helped create issues of Howard the Duck and Omega the Unknown for Marvel Comics Group in Mad Genius times. I hadn't methodically focused on those two conventions we attended as Integr8d Soul Comics, nor the one we crashed in our way (Comic Con International) and thanks to Janice Paige, utilized our passes to get our work into the hands of genuine comic talents there.

So I realized we now live in a pretty ideal town to gain local backing for a comic book creation. I'm seeing this place as the home for my dreams, and finding myself in tune with Creating again, solo, as opposed to Quest Leading. I'm uncovering just how much energy I put into that fifty hours a week of my presence, and a few here and there to study the game further- wow. What a heart-felt investment. If I put that sort of dedication into Integr8d Soul, I'll discover a lot of limitations fell away while I wasn't even uptight about them anymore.


Anyway, Sandu, who seems to have only appeared in Journey Into Mystery #91, cover date Apr. 1963- so very early that year- today feels like a genuinely-inspired choice. I was second-guessing him, plucked from the most obscure memory of Thor's adventures.
I get how this quickly-made choice of villain was put out there to keep issues of the new comic coming out. You might say, any credibility or threat from Sandu was empowered by the belief of the kids reading the Thor comic. If you like the comic, then you probably allow your belief to be suspended. it's as simple as Thor's adventures ever got in comics, really, as it's such an early one.

His present scheme involves weaving kid belief into a spell returning him the powers he had, one single time, as a pawn of Loki. Punished with residence on Asgard, and no visits to Earth, Loki gave one carnival performer with limited ESP an enormous boost of power, to do the impossible: namely, both lift AND teleport entire buildings, with his mind!

Apparently, he could speak with his mind, as I doubt the delegates inside the United Nations building could otherwise have a conversation with the man floating beside their floating builiding. How did he mess up? He attempted something impossible for his enchantment, while trying to take advantage of having actually over-coming mighty Thor, too. It's all in Journey to Mystery #91, the ninth issue-ever of Thor created by Marvel Comics. Stan plotted it, brother Larry scripted, and Joe Sinnott, a legendary inker, drew this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Blazers

The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition- this day, 1985!

Lost World of Apes: the Bili and Mangani