Cecil the Hacker!

For kicks, I played along with a status suggesting you type in your first name plus Marvel Comics.

That's how I discovered Cecil the Hacker.


He's a character from The Unbelievable Gwen Pool, which means he is from a set of stories so far outside the Marvel I grew up with, I may have never gotten around to discovering him in this decade.
There's an entire other Marvel world where Gwen got the spider bite that made Peter Parker, Spider-Man. That's fine with me. I understand they've had a lot of fun with the character.
Cecil looks like he's a pretty fun guy, too. I can't judge how inspired he really is without reading the comics.

I tend to put a lot more effort into these posts, which makes them much more rare than if I would update them with a paragraph and a couple of downloaded pictures every day or so. Right now, all my comics-related energies are devoted to Firestorm. I have been editing a Creating Marvels audio file where I talk with Patrick Broderick, who also drew Doom 2099 for Marvel when I was still in school.
Maybe if I just ripped on the comics in a snarky fashion, I'd pull in five times the traffic, rather than preserving this conversation with the classic generation of creators with whom I grew up. But, it's also part of my paying feature work, and besides, I love that material still, too.

But Cecil.
There's really a character with my name.
And you, dear reader who came here 'cause you're into Cecil the Hacker a bit, will find little else for now from me. Lame, I know. But, I have things to do. Feel free to comment away.

Gwenpool's kind of a joke character, but those seem to be doing well overall, for the remainder of the comics crowd. I think more to the point, she's the kind of whacky character- a mash-up of Gwen STacy (but fun) and Deadpool- likely to translate into cartoons, which are where the eyeballs are these days. This comic's been out for a couple of years, but I really only ran across her in a few issues of Slott's Spider-Man where he crossed over the Spider-People. I uhm, didn't quite finish it. It was nice to see Spider-Ham again. I was reading it to see what they did with Spider-Man '67, the hero that's launched a thousand memes. What can I say, soft spot for that old cartoon of his.

So it's probably good to get familiar with ol' Cecil. He's been kicking around a while, and it's not like I get grumpy about anything new for its own sake. I'm preserving the past at the present, but I tutor young people every single day, so I'm open to new things.
Never know. I've spoken with Joyce Chin and Afua Richardson, and I've had every intention of talking to more of the newer creators if I can find a paying home for writing about them. So Christopher Hastings, I may head your way next year! The smell of old newsprint will herald my arrival.

Cecil the Hacker. Now I know. I say, sure, Gwen, I'll give it a whirl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Blazers

The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition- this day, 1985!

Lost World of Apes: the Bili and Mangani