Back Issue #110! Englehart's lost West Coast Avengers, Mark Waid and Ann Nocenti's Daredevil, Marvel Con '75 and more!

My biggest leap forward in freelance writing in a long time. I talked to such great people, too. That's Back Issue #110! Steve Englehart and Annie Nocenti fans shouldn't miss it.

How do you not miss it? Here! http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=98_54 The site! Order yours! Ships January 16th.

My thanks again to John Workman, Scott Edelman, Sam Maronie, Harold Parker, Will Alovis, Ken Segal (now there's a sound guy), the Marvel Comics Fans 1961-1986 page on Facebook (for bringing me together with fans and photos)
- and especially our hard-working editor, Michael Eury, who also pulled off a move in the middle of a hurricane and got this one out in fine form. NOw that's how you Face Front!



I was wrapping up burritos and wrapping up wrapping up burritos when I pitched for this assignment. I tried Marv Wolfman, John Workman...even hovered over a possible phone number for John Romita, Sr. I stayed on the trail, one lead to the next. I remember the snow outside, the day Harold and I talked. I was scarfing dinner when Ken called, as can be heard in the first part of my audio on Creating Marvels podcast. HEck, check'em out: I posted even more interview material there than I wrote up for Back Issue. I held some of the photos in reserve, but even still, seeing what Michael has done with the issue was nonpareil. Where else are you going to find three Sparklin' Scott Edelmans in harmony- with enough hair on his chest, alone, for any two modern day Marvelites?

Along the way, I discovered Sam Maronie's wonderful work on his own nostalgia-interview book, Tripping Through the Pop Culture. (Its cover was created by Joe Phillips, with whom I collaborated on an exciting IDW comics original project and a cartoon that really, really deserves to see the light of day, too.) Sam was the photographer of note, on his own recognizances, at that hoi polloi organized chaos that was Marvel Con. Scott was the point man organizing said chaos, into a pleasurable jamboree made especially for the fan of that era. Together, the interviews and photos re-create the panels and the panic, the random meetings with comics luminaries. Ken told me about some rare footage screened there, including the pleasure of uncut King Kong! I had a good laugh with all the above gentlemen. It was a real pleasure, bringing that time to life! Other than a few random fanzines, there were precious few chances for fans to actually meet in person, much less listen to their artistic heroes. The first Women in Comics panel, demonstrations, back issues, and some of the very first cosplay ever caught on camera? What a gold mine of experiences! You can listen to Creating Marvels- and these interviews- right here: https://creatingmarvels.podbean.com/page/3/
HEre's one of many:


I look forward to settling in this rainy cool evening, drawing, catching up some notes, and thumbing through the single most exciting magazine release I've ever worked on. It's so funny, I enthusiastically wrote about 10, 000 words without awareness that wasn't the actual word count, but it shaped up nicely with some help from Sgt. Eury.

But Steve Englehart was always a classic comics writer with more plans than ever saw print, and from the remote future here, you can enjoy his vision for the West Coast Avengers, an offshoot title conceived right here in my hometown, over by the duck pond, Roger STern and Mark Gruenwald, probably walking off a local lunch during an early Civic Center convention. Ann's work really broke the mold on Daredevil- she had a more literary, Symbolist take, a step away from simply cloning the Miller success. Same Pro2Pro John Trumbull feature interviews Mark Waid on the same panel- that's almost 120 issues of Daredevul writers!
Not only that, but Carmine Infantino is celebrated, too, for some work he did at Marvel- in fact, he drew a few issues while my pal David Anthony Kraft wrote the title, including the first appearance of Ali- er, the Lunatic, from DAK's Friday afternoon design. You probably know his Nova and Spider-Woman work there best. We also talked with Denny O'Neil, editor of so much of the work I've gone on to review with its creators, including a legendary tenure on BAtman, which he previously wrote into modern, fan-favorite arcs. His interest in Zen and its influence led me to some good books! You can search my posts to find me discussing his Iron Man and Spider-Man runs in brief- but this article is better yet.

I don't think you have to be a Marvel comics fan, and not even one from the 70s and 80s, to enjoy this issue of Back Issue. You could just join me for a rather interesting day at 'the office'! But unwrapping my copies today was a special treat. It's the very first extended interview profile article in the issue. It really sets the tone for a bang-up read!

It's also one of the first in depth printed posthumous tributes to the work and influence of Stan Lee, as Scott Edelman shares his memories of working with Stan The Man to make Marvel Con '75 a reality!



With limited resources dictating our comics work await a cycle to blossom, it's been our work with the existing creative field that's been our lifeline. I am no less proud of my recent contribution to Back Issue Magazine #110, by TwoMorrows Publishing, than any other single work in that aspect- and I highly recommend you treat yourself to my article, the first feature piece. It's an attempt to re-create, in comics' trope, the time and place and feel of attending Marvel's very first comics convention.

I was thanking contributor Ken Segal when I felt inspired to share here a brief exegesis of its origination, from the wonderful people yielded by my questions. I think DAK is to thank for me approaching Scott Edelman, and Scott pointed me to photographer Sam Maronie. The fans came to me through Marvel Comics Fans, 1981-86 FB page.

I actually hope someone enjoys the creative writing approach I took, as many of you professional creative industry people read such things. What I saw was, I wasn't just interviewing a person or peeps, but through y'all, could re-create the atmosphere of a specific event. I had a time and place and atmosphere available; why not employ them?
HOnestly, in talking to anyone about the past, I'm very engaged in reconstructing the conceptual experience, rather like an excellent documentary might. The existential landscape! Your pass, and the point of view of an isolated nine year-old fan, set the entire conceit in motion. Then, I'm blessed with the photographer, Harold's random encounter, and the event coordinator- so I tried to 'use the whole buffalo' respectfully.

I felt like the event was created precisely for people like you, so I built my article around your experience as proxy. I had just enough people and photos to imitate the texture of individuals milling about in an excited crowd. Finally, Marvel characters inhabit the same city- and Doom's time machine is one of the perennial concepts of creative Marvel. So in a sense, if I'd done anything less with the generous gifts offered me by research and request- it would've been a waste! And somewhere, back there, a Native American would've shed a tear with a crumpled program at his foot...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Blazers

The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition- this day, 1985!

Lost World of Apes: the Bili and Mangani