Halloween 2021: give me the creeps!

I can still check to see if they need any replacements out at Anderson Farms, but I didn't follow up on the Terror in the Corn maze idea. That is, I was looking about a seasonal job there, and it sounded very fun. Now I know someone who works out there, Brooke, though she's in the hospitality department, not creeping up through the corn rows. I have to at least rule out the possiblity they really can't use me. It would've been a fun way to spend these past three weeks!

I looked up some fun Drunk History: Salem Witch Trials (the Giles Corey curse), Vlad the not-so-tame-Impala, and let's not forget, 'Frankenstein is not the monster's name.' Whatever that one was with Paget Brewster- we agreed, super sexy lady. Criminal Minds: that's how Angela recognized her.

And ...a story our pal the Savage Beast told us in capsule form, a couple of weeks ago, in full form with 'Carl Satan'-sober people call him Carl Sagan, author of Cosmos- and a SETI-supported experiment, with NASA funds, that resulted in dolphins on LSD. Would you simply look that one up for yourself and enjoy it?

We had to get a money order on a day the banks are closed, for rent that was becoming more late. Is that scary enough? Angela couldn't find me as she came out of King Sooper's. Soon, she walked up to ROM (our Saturn Vue) and I pop up from the reclined driver's side seat. Then, she realized I had never gone inside with her. What can I say, we've been up overnight. She taught five classes from 4 am on to 7 am, so her career at VIPKid, so far, is less haunted by the change in Chinese law. She used my unicorn today- by my request- that is, my stuffed former-Unee, my grocery store version, at least, who I said had been out of work since the 'murder' of GoGoKid. Hey, even Dragon (our Sir Oliver Yappee) had tried delivery driving- we were all just making ends meet in scary times. Finally, after finding a cool article that led me through some old Marvel Comics written by my writing comics hero, Steve Gerber, the year I was born, I had read a few stories. I could go on about any of them. But I don't carefully sit and read but so much at a time, these days. I had read Man-Thing #16, with its GG Alin/ Bowie satirist rocker, Star Spangler, stalked by the fury of a self-proclaimed symbol of manhood, a grandfather who went mad and started dressing like his idea of a Viking in order to kill people he considers decadent! Cool? It's better to read it yourself. And I had to go back to story of the boy bullied to death at school, at the complicity of his community, a story about fat and shame and betrayal in ...

well, look, Marvel made Giant-Size books that came out once every three months, at this point, and this one features the Man-Thing. It's issue #4 of...yeah, Giant-Sized Man-Thing.
Gerbs didn't feel he quite stuck the ending, as though if Man-Thing rampages in seething revenge as if from beyond the grave, no one learns the sad truth about kids being so put-upon, when there's no savior in sight.


On a less serious note, there's some campy fun in a somewhat subliminated form in Steve's first script for the wordless swamp creature they call Man-Thing. Teenage witch wanna-be, uses a Ouija Board from a head shop and her brother's assistance stealing a family tome, to open the existence of the Nexus of All Realities there in the Florida Everglades. Rich Buckler, who soon became the regular monthly penciler for the Fantastic Four title from Marvel, didn't do much Man-Thing, but he's in terrific form here.

The comic book was titled Fear, issue #11.

When one day writer Mary Skrenes learned Steve's approach to writing comics, it was his work on this character he asked her to consider as his truest- the way forward to experiment with more mature, interesting themes, rather than regurigitating conventional tropes and scripts.

Here, Steve introduces Jennifer Kale, who will tie into an occult narrative stretching back to Atlantis and underpinning many of Gerber's stories at Marvel.

I'll hold up on talking about the first two solo Howard the Duck strips drawn (and GS #4 is also colored) by Frank Brunner, in the pages of Giant-Sized Man-Thing #4 and 5.
I have three David Kempf plays and a Hannah Fierman script to read and respond to in notes, in the coming days. Aside from my broken up viewing of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, I'm in the mood to support other writers and think in writerly ways, again.

Happy Halloween!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Blazers

The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition- this day, 1985!

Lost World of Apes: the Bili and Mangani