Top 7 Avengers Stories of the 1970s: Begin with Thanos, Warlock, Jim Starlin, and Avengers Annual #7 of 1977

I've been known to romanticize weird little corners of Marvel like the title Nova. or Machine Man. But I do know a good superhero epic mega-blockbuster, and after a busy summer, I thought I'd relax with Comics and, for the first time in months, write about them.
AVENGERS ANNUAL #7 of 1977 and its sequel is, at least, in the Top 7 Stories of the Seventies that ever assembled Avengers.
Now, I loved the scope of Marvel-Two-In-One Annual #2 -I wondered if it wasn't the best Spider-Man stories of the 1970s. But it MIGHT be the two-part summer epic that best epitomizes stories of the Avengers, too. The others? I propose, chronologically:

Kree-Skrull War from #89-98.
Then, the jaunt of ever Avenger to Olympus in 99-100.
The Serpent Crown encounter that brought us Squadron Sinister and Hellcat, 141-144 and 147, was it- there's another.
Between Grim Reaper and Ultron's machinations next around #159-162 proves, this title hardly let up.

#167 -177 comprise the Michael Korvac Saga. I would understand that sitting at #1 for a lot of people who love Ann 7/ MTIO aan 2.
The Wundagore Mountain issues that end in 187.

That's Seven Arcs.
But, no shade to the cool face-offs drawn by Byrne, v. Absorbing Man, Grey Gargoyle. I know they're not 'event' arcs, but I'd jump them into the top five ahead of something here...but
a Top 10 should be expansive enough to offer room for Avengers #170-171, the sequel to the Bride of Ultron. You may think the Avengers over in Fantastic Four #150 belongs there, too. But better than that is maybe the Fire and Ice Giant fights, or, to go back to 1970, the Zodiac Cartel and Sons of the Serpent from #72-74. Now we're talking: The Bride sequel with Jocasta, the Zodiac/ Serpents, and...a Byrne two-parter, or something from the Legion of the Unliving?

And WHY haven't I included Avengers/ Defenders war from 1972?
For you, what's the top Avengers arc of the 1970's?
Do you think of these in any order related, or can we simply agree, these are bullseyes of a very favorable decade! I did consider putting Giant Size #3 in there! I know some fans would get most of their Top 7 arcs out of Englehart's run!

Comments

  1. The Captain Marvel arc versus Thanos belongs in the Top 10 Conversation for that decade.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eminem's Rap God sample: that's Captain America and the Falcon, from Power Records!

Lost World of Apes: the Bili and Mangani

Black Cat: Well-Developed Female Characters